Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Pop Culture as random as a Gator in a Collared Shirt

I haven't had an entry for a little while. My sincere apologies to the all the Pasqua fans/readers out there. All 3 of you are dear to me. At any rate, a lot has been going on in the Pop Culture/Sports genre lately and I needed to be sure to give my 8 cents worth of opinions.

  • "Hero's" on NBC is officially my favorite new show of this year. It's replaced "Studio 60" as the show I just can't miss every week. If you've been watching, you know what I'm talking about. If you haven't then catch up immediately at nbc.com. There's a lot going on and a pretty thick plot already established. And the guy who can teleport has, alright I'll say it, reached "cute" status. The scene where he got excited over waffles being on the menu in the diner last week has made me laugh all week thinking about it.
  • Flava of Love concluded last week on VH1. Can you believe the season finale was the highest rated show in VH1 history? Me too...it's a quality program. New York went down like the skank she is and I really hope that Flav and Delishious have a lasting relationship together. And yes, I wrote that last line with a straight face.

  • SNL had another solid weekend with probably one of the funniest monologues I've ever seen. Stanicek seems to think that this cast needs a complete overhaul and to get new writers. Ummm...isn't that what they did this season? Got rid of Fey as the head writer and replaced her with Seth Myers and Amy Poehler. They also got rid of Chris Parnell, Horatio Sanz, and Rachel Dratch. While I hate to see those veterans go, I LOVE what Jason Sudekis, Bill Hader, and the other new chick can do. These kids are the wave of the future. The wave of the future. The wave of the future. Q-U-A-R-A-N-T-I-N-E.
  • Back to real pop culture. You can now listen to Flava Flav's new album. Where does this piece of music rank with the best albums of our generation? I'll leave that open for debate.
  • While I may have lost some of you with that last bullet point, I want the rest of you to know that I am super psyched for this weekend in Jacksonville. The Friday night drunk conversations about how "If we can only keep it close ANYTHING can happen" to the first sight of a Gator fan in jean shorts to the warm Florida weather to Tent City dominating yet another college football venue. It'll be a grand weekend.

Keep an eye out tomorrow and Friday as we'll be putting together the college football picks. Fear not, I won't be picking the UGA game this weekend. My 0-3 record on UGA picks makes it obvious that the only way we win against Florida is if Stanicek predicts our game. That and if we tackle, block, catch, out play them on special teams, out-coach, win the turnover battle, win the war in the trenches, play smart, ................................................

No comments: