Wednesday, October 03, 2007

And so it begins...

when I'm not fuming over Atlanta's unconscionable water conservation plans I'm watching PLAYOFF BASEBALL BAY-BEE! My pennant predictions allllmost were on the money except for the fact that they were mostly wrong. The Mets collapsed, the D-Backs held on and the Padres got a gift in the 7th inning of the one game playoff only to get hosed in the 13th (so I guess it evened out). But hey! I did nail the entire AL and the Cubs...note: please forget about the fact that the AL was mostly decided when I made my picks. Anyway - on to my playoff picks:

ALDS:
Red Sox over Angels - it pains me....PAINS me to pick this but hey it looks pretty much like a lock. The Angels are banged up, the Red Sox have the pitching to dominate a short series and the hitting to get by. I would say the Red Sox have the edge in playoff experience but after Epstein dismantled the 04 squad its pretty much Schilling, Ortiz, Man-Ram, Varitek...OK they have the experience. This pick in no way alters the fact that I pray each and every day that the Red Sox lose every game from now until Major League Baseball is forced to contract them.

Indians over Yankees - as Pasqua and I were saying yesterday - it's not that we really dislike the guy but wouldn't it be great if this "A-Rod sucks in the postseason" story continues forever. He will be the greatest hitter that all his teams hated EVER....Yankees hate him, Rangers hate him...OK the Mariners like him but they are West Coast pansies. Anyway - got to love Sabathia and Carmona pitching 4 out of 5 of these games and as for that other Indians starter - well that would be Madison County's own Jake Westbrook...going in Game 3, 6:30pm IN Yankee Stadium against Roger Clemens! WOOOO-WEEE! That's drama

NLDS
Phillies over Rockies - I would like to see this Rockies Cinderella story continue but let's be honest...Jeff Francis? Josh Fogg?....and....they don't know...that's right -the Rockies have no idea who is going to be their third starter for this series. Not a good sign - especially when you are staring down at Cole Hamels for two of these possibly 5 games.

Cubs over D-Backs - basically I am picking the Cubs for two reasons - 1) the Cubs are a great story - win or lose and 2) I DETEST Eric Byrnes - not because he's a shameless self-promoting "dive for balls even when I could just walk up and grab them", "do crazy runs and dances on the base-paths for a infield fly dinkus, but because he was a solid if not pretty dang good player EVERYWHERE he went....EXCEPT the Baltimore Orioles. The O's in the middle of an almost-maybe-could be in contention season traded for Byrnes at the All-Star Break...how did ole Eric "Hey can I be on Fox? I'll let my dog drown" Byrnes do? Glad you asked - he batted .192 with as many homeruns as errors...3. I hope he and the D-Backs make an early exit and Eric is forced to eat sheep testicles during the 7th inning stretch of the NLCS as part of Fox's new "Fear Factor"-style humorous vignettes.

NLCS picks to come when all of these predictions are verified on the field....

1 comment:

Josh M. said...

I'm a'rootin' for two teams: the Rockies (for the story) and whoever is playin' the Red Sox. WHOOOOOOOOOOO!

Seriously, I hope the Red Sox plane crashes on the way to LA, and only David Ortiz lives. And then Ortiz signs with the Yankees next year, just so everybody in Boston is that much more depressed.